Tuesday, March 31, 2015


Warm air flows through the window
Sunlight reflects off the tools scattered about
The trees’ leaves rustle in the quiet summer air
Soft music plays as an even softer hum sounds
The artist has her hair up out of the way
As her hands work delicately with the small knife
Making lines, in an intricate mix
The smell of liquid wax fills the air
as the bowl is coated and dried
Glaze is painted on, and taken off with a sponge
Leaving only the simply elegant lines






She listened closely
for the sound of her mother’s soft steps
down the hall
and away from the kitchen.
The young child heard her mother walk away
she then slipped quietly and unnoticed out of her room,
down the hall,
and into the kitchen.
She could see dinner would soon be ready.
She reached a steady hand up to the counter
and into the cookie jar.
She took a single cookie and darted off to her room
as her mother stood around the corner
smiling to herself.



1 comment:

  1. I like the sweet image of the knowing mother around the corner. Once I got older and became a mom myself, I realized how often my parents really knew what I was up to but just didn't say anything.

    ReplyDelete