Thursday, February 19, 2015

Memorable Passage

      "Ski. Sled. Play basketball. Jog. Run. Run. Run. Run home. Run home and enjoy. Enjoy. Take these verbs and enjoy them. They're yours, Craig. You deserve them because you chose them. You could have left them all behind but you chose to stay here.
        So now live for real, Craig. Live. Live. Live. Live. Live."
                     - It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

I would like to put the entire book on this post. Narrowing down my favorite quote from it was so very hard. This entire book speaks to me and is memorable. This passage is the one I chose because if I could only read one part of the book again it would be that one. It isn't a perfect ending where everyone get's what they want. Though it may seem that way. Craig is happy at the end of the book, but as he talks about shifts in the book there is no way of telling if this was a fake shift or a real one. There is no way to tell because that is just how it is. That's how it is in real life and this book is wake up call to real life. There is no fantasy world in here, it's life written down. This passage was a reminder that I need to live, and not just exist. I need to see and to feel and to love and learn and lose. I'm just a kid. Therefore I need more time. I haven't looked around the corner yet. I haven't even walked down the hall. So what I might see could just surprise me. What I might see could be what I've been looking for. Craig is reminding himself of all the things he can see or do, all the things there are in this world, and he realizes that he needs to live for real, he needs to breath it all in, he needs to do more than just exist. He needs to live.

2 comments:

  1. Lots of wisdom in this book and in these lines of yours: "I'm just a kid. Therefore I need more time. I haven't looked around the corner yet. I haven't even walked down the hall." So true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living is something not many people do anymore. Too often, you see people just going through the motions of life and not really seeing or experiencing or taking in anything, just existing. I love how you describe this book as "life written down." It's definitely at the top of my reading list!

    ReplyDelete